Environmentally Aware Products
Sound environmental practices are the foundation of Kellex’s manufacturing process. Our products are made of renewable and/or recyclable materials, and they’re built to last. We find innovative ways to build our products in a sustainable way. Here’s how:
• We only use sustainable hardwoods certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), Appalachian Hardwoods Manufacturing Inc. (AHMI) and/or Sustainable Forest Initiative (SFI).
• 90% of our wood is resourced, handcrafted and hand-finished in the USA by local artisans in North Carolina and Mississippi.
• We only use water-based dyes, not petroleum or chemically based products, because they are biodegradable and safe for our employees.
• We only use frame wood certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), Appalachian Hardwoods Manufacturing Inc. (AHMI) and/or Sustainable Forest Initiative (SFI).
• Frame padding materials are made of 100% recycled polyester fibers.
• Metal springs and bases are made of lead-free steel that is at least 90% recycled material.
• Our wood glues are water based.
• We reuse all our run-off and scrap material.
At our Factory
• We heat our entire 354,000-square foot Valdese, NC factory with scrap wood and sawdust generated by our onsite sawmill.
• We ensure that our factories only release steam, not negative emissions.
• By locally sourcing our materials we take advantage of a geolocational emissions reduction.
In Our Communities
• Each year our employees commit hundreds of hours towards cleaning and conserving local public recreational parks.
• Kellex was awarded the 2018 Business Conservationist of the Year Governor's Conservation Achievement Award from the North Carolina Wildlife Federation.